By Geoff Web page
Whereas there have been no tasks to evaluate on the OB Planning Board’s, Wednesday, April 7 assembly agenda, two issues that matter to virtually everybody, libraries and parks, had been.
There was a presentation by the San Diego Public Library Basis, or SDPLF, on its efforts to revise the citywide library grasp plan.
There was additionally a presentation by the OBPB’s parks subcommittee that contained a nicely detailed stock of the parks in and round OB with concepts for enhancements.
Metropolis of San Diego Library Grasp Plan
You will need to first perceive the entities concerned with the library system, for people who aren’t intimately aware of the system. The system is owned and operated by the Metropolis of San Diego. The SDPLF is a personal, non-profit company based mostly within the Central Library downtown. It has the next on its web site:
The Library Basis strengthens communities by supporting excellence within the San Diego Public Library system by way of philanthropy, advocacy and outreach.
The San Diego Public Library Basis is a catalyst for creating stronger communities by way of funding within the San Diego Public Library system — the place entry to assets supporting literacy, work readiness and lifelong studying guarantee equal alternatives for achievement. We elevate funds, construct collaborations and honor our patrons and donors.”
And, then there’s the Board of Library Commissioners. Here’s what town’s web site says about this group:
“The Board of Library Commissioners consists of seven members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the Metropolis Council. Every member serves a two-year time period. The Board is answerable for contemplating all coverage issues relating to the event and operation of the Metropolis’s Library system and serves in an advisory capability to the Mayor and Metropolis Council. Every member serves till reappointment or till a successor is appointed.”
SDPLF consultant Patrick Stewart made the presentation in regards to the Library Grasp Plan, describing what had been finished thus far and the plan forward on the job of rewriting town’s Grasp Plan. Based on Stewart, step one was to interact two consulting companies in 2019 to evaluate the library system throughout town. This detailed evaluation, over a six-month interval, was supplied to the Library Commissioners.
The subsequent steps included plenty of issues, one in all which is a survey that’s presently open for feedback however solely till April 17. This survey has had appreciable commercial and has been open since February 17.
Stewart careworn that they’re on the group outreach part now and described the assorted methods they’re in search of public remark. The survey is on-line and can be found here.
Listening to the presentation, it was very clear that the SDPLF has made a significant effort to incorporate virtually everybody within the metropolis within the effort to revise the Grasp Plan. The outreach effort seems to be fairly complete. Anybody who has an curiosity within the library system ought to take a look on the survey.
Naturally, the topic of the OB Library got here up with a query about progress on the long-awaited growth mission. Misty Jones, Director of the San Diego Library division, defined the design is underway and is being finished in-house by town.
That was, sadly, the one excellent news. Her subsequent remark forged chilly water on that excellent news when she stated:
“we requested for reallocated funding to be included on this subsequent 12 months’s finances to complete that plan over the following fiscal 12 months. So that we’ll have a accomplished design. And be shovel prepared when the funding is made out there. The subsequent part is figuring out the funding for the mission.”
Translated, this implies they don’t have devoted funding to even end the design. If the funding isn’t accredited in subsequent 12 months’s finances, the mission grinds to a halt. And, even when funding is accredited, the design is probably not finished till the center of subsequent 12 months. The outcome can be a accomplished design searching for the cash to construct what it exhibits.
The OBPB created an advert hoc Parks subcommittee to evaluate and talk about proposed enchancment to the parks in and round OB. The subcommittee had its first assembly in Might of 2020. This group of volunteers produced a really detailed report titled “Group Requests for Elevated Park Facilities and Leisure Areas in Ocean Seaside.”
This was a really nicely finished, skilled showing report that accommodates concepts for enhancing the out there park house, a few of which already has a historical past of enchancment concepts and efforts resembling Veteran’s Park and Saratoga Park. that included written data and graphics in regards to the following parks:
- Veteran’s Parok – Abbott and Newport: The unique Veteran’s Park plan has been scaled again resulting from value, which is able to please some individuals, however it would nonetheless include dedications to veterans.
- Saratoga Park – Finish of Saratoga Ave. on the seashore: At one time, there was an elaborate design for Saratoga Park that didn’t meet common approval. The idea now’s to retain the largely grassy space and add a tot lot and an train space in a single nook.
- Ebers Avenue Park – nook of Ebers and Saratoga: The Ebers avenue park has gotten a great deal of consideration as a result of it’s frequented by very younger kids. There’s a security concern on the park so the concepts there embrace issues like fencing and lighting.
- Collier Park – Nook of Greene and Soto streets: Collier Park is presently a big expanse of grass with two picnic tables and a horseshoe pit at one finish. The subcommittee included concepts resembling increasing the picnic space and “specialty leisure facilities” resembling bocce ball.
- Spray Avenue/Canine Seaside – Grass areas adjoining to parking tons at Canine Seaside the top of Brighton
- Robb Discipline
- Dusty Rhodes Park: The solutions for Dusty Rhodes park had rather a lot to do with enhancing upkeep and accessibility but in addition included concepts resembling a soccer discipline and a playground space with a substrate.
Through the dialogue that adopted the presentation, it was identified that Collier Park was throughout the boundaries of the Peninsula Group Planning Board and that Robb Discipline was out of the OBPB’s jurisdiction. The subcommittee acknowledged that however believed all of the parks had been a part of the group as a complete. This reporter goes to Collier every day and may say from expertise that individuals come from throughout OB and Level Loma to this neighborhood park.
An expert pickleball participant, Stephan Boyland, introduced a proposal to to transform the tennis courts at Robb Discipline into 36 pickleball courts. What’s pickleball? Right here is how Wikipedia describes it:
“Pickleball is a paddleball sport (just like a racquet sport) that mixes parts of badminton, desk tennis, and tennis. Two or 4 gamers use stable paddles product of wooden or composite supplies to hit a perforated polymer ball, very like a wiffle ball, with 26-40 spherical holes, over a web. The game shares options of different racquet sports activities: the scale and structure of a badminton courtroom, and a web and guidelines considerably just like tennis, with a number of modifications.”
This recreation is allegedly “exploding” in recognition al over the world. Based on one web site, the distinctive guidelines “favor gamers with much less mobility and permit senior gamers to compete efficiently with youthful rivals.” An image of 4 senior sorts enjoying the sport confirmed that as one man was enjoying in sandals.
Boyland and his companion Mike Shinzaki, additionally an expert participant, suggest to deal with the changeover and to handle the operation. Boyland claimed that the Robb Discipline tennis courts are woefully underused and recommended that the close by Barnes Tennis Middle might simply soak up the tennis customers from Robb Discipline.
The OBPB has no jurisdiction over Robb Discipline however might lend help to the proposal if it goes ahead to town.
- The town remains to be assessing the injury to the pier.
- The thought of sustaining the skin eating within the streets is being mentioned on the metropolis.
- There could also be a vendor ordinance proposed to metropolis council by this summer season, a very long time coming.
- There can be a type of Avenue Honest this 12 months minus meals and cubicles and chili with the main focus being on present companies.
- Funding to lastly substitute the steps to the seashore on Bermuda and Narragansett has lastly been accredited.
- The OBPB hopes to have its first dwell assembly in August if the celebrities preserve aligning as they’re.
- The OBPB licensed the election outcomes, the brand new and present members might be see on the OBPB website; Melanie Boda was the one model new member of the Board.
- And the OBPB elected its officers. Andrea Schlageter will proceed as chair.