That is comforting, thick, creamy, vegetarian soup that’s excellent for this time of yr. It is also fast to prep and cook dinner utilizing butternut squash already lower into cubes. Lower cubes might be discovered within the produce part of the market. You may, additionally, use butternut squash spirals if cubes aren’t accessible.
I exploit shallots for the soup. They’re a mild-flavored member of the onion household. Shallots break down as they cook dinner, making a smoother sauce than their onion cousins.
Gala or Honeycrisp apples are used. They’re candy and don’t flip brown when lower.
* White or any candy onion can be utilized as an alternative of shallots.
* If butternut squash cubes or spirals usually are not accessible, peel an entire squash and lower into 1-inch cubes. They might take longer to cook dinner.
* 4 crushed garlic cloves can be utilized as an alternative of bottled minced garlic.
* If utilizing different apples, lower them simply earlier than including them to the soup to forestall them from turning brown.
* To purchase: 1 pound butternut squash cubes, 1 jar minced garlic, 1 small piece contemporary ginger or 1 bottle floor ginger, 1 bottle floor nutmeg, 1 carton mild cream, 2 shallots, 1 Gala or Honeycrisp apple, 1 whole-grain baguette, 1 small container pecan items and 1 container vegetable broth.
* Staples: olive oil and salt.
Butternut Squash Soup
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 shallots sliced (about 1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped contemporary ginger or 2 teaspoons floor ginger
4 cups butternut squash cubes (about 1 pound)
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup toasted pecan items
2 slices toasted whole- grain baguette
1/2 teaspoon floor nutmeg
2 tablespoons mild cream
1 cup diced Gala or Honeycrisp apples
Warmth oil in a big saucepan over medium-high warmth. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger and butternut squash cubes. Saute 5 minutes, stirring a number of occasions. Add the vegetable broth, and convey to a simmer. Decrease warmth to medium, cowl with a lid and simmer quarter-hour. The squash needs to be comfortable. Prepare dinner a couple of extra minutes if wanted.
In the meantime toast the pecans and baguette. When soup is prepared, add the nutmeg and salt to style. Take away soup to a blender, and course of till easy. Divide between two giant soup bowls, and swirl cream onto the soup. Sprinkle pecans and apples on prime, and serve with the toasted baguette.
Yield 2 servings.
Per serving: 542 energy (47% from fats), 28.2 grams fats (4.5 grams saturated, 14.3 grams monounsaturated), 10 milligrams ldl cholesterol, 11.4 grams protein, 72.6 grams carbohydrates, 11.1 grams fiber, 362 milligrams sodium.
— Recipe by Linda Gassenheimer
Linda Gassenheimer is the writer of over 30 cookbooks, together with her latest, “The 12-Week Diabetes Cookbook.” Hearken to Gassenheimer on www.WDNA.org and all main podcast websites. E-mail her at Linda@ DinnerInMinutes.com.